Friday, February 11, 2011

Tahrir Square

Friday 11th February, 2011

Today was an amazingly historic day in Egypt. Leader for over 30 years, Hosni Mubarak has finally stepped down after 18 days of protest in Tahrir Square, Cairo. I screamed when I saw the headline on the news. i am so excited for the Egyptian people! They have accomplished so much and have inspired so many. Imagine, only last night, Mubarak insisted that he was not going to step down, causing angry screams of protest and streams of tears to flow down peoples' faces. I experienced such joy, relief and pride for Egyptians everywhere. After years of a violent and oppressive rule, they set out to take back their country and never gave up until they accomplished just that. They say that the ones who own Tahrir Square own all of Egypt and surely the Egyptian people now have control of their country. Translated to Freedom or Liberty Square, Tahrir Square will definitely be a place our children will read about in their history books. 

A moment of history. A moment of triumph. A moment of freedom. Egypt, once the Jewel of the Arab world has taken the first step to reclaiming this title. I hope that their transition of governments is a fast and peaceful one. Congratulations Egypt! May your future and the future of your people always be as bright and full of opportunity as it is now. EGYPT IS FREE!!!!!

Picture 42/365
Rainbow after the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about my straightened look?