Saturday, January 29, 2011

Gasohol

While doing research and making notes for the last module in our Chemistry syllabus, Industry and the Environment, I came across gasohol. Now, in case you didn’t know, ‘gasohol’ is an alternative form of fuel for vehicles which contains 20% ethanol in lead-free petrol. It’s widely known because of its mass production in Brazil. Now, I knew about using ethanol as car fuel before I began my research but what I didn’t know was that it was being produced from sugar cane. Moreover, it is also being produced and the ethanol being exported by one of our fellow Caribbean nations, Belize. So then tell me, why oh why isn’t our beloved country of Trinidad and Tobago using gasohol? Well, apparently, according to my daddy, just before they closed down Caroni, there were some discussions about using the factory to manufacture ethanol instead of sugar, however, it was deemed uneconomical. Neither my father nor I am convinced. Trinidad constantly relies solely on their oil and natural gas industry despite them having the knowledge that it is a non-renewable resource and hence will run out soon. We should be looking into gasohol! And what about solar energy? Why oh why do I never see solar panels on any of our building rooftops? WE ARE A TROPICAL ISLAND! SUNSHINE BLAZING DOWN ON US YEAR-ROUND! After Hurricane Ivan, Grenada, our next door neighbor, has been seriously implementing renewable energy sources. Their hotels and prominent buildings have solar panels on every rooftop. When we stood on St. George’s University campus and looked out over the city, that is what we saw-solar power at work. They are even looking into wind energy and planning for a possible coastal wind farm. It amazed me and at the same time confused me. Why wasn’t Trindad doing that? If the even smaller island of Grenada was able of implementing this, why weren’t we? Perhaps that was exactly the reason. Trinidad feel they to big! They have oil! They LARGE! Well let me tell you something. Soon, the oil go done! And what allyuh goin an do den eh!? STEUPS! Rubbish I tell you! Instead of trying to use sustainable resources and plan for a better future for our children, we want to hand them a withered and rotten Earth on a silver platter? Unbelievable.

Picture 29/365
Cracked up.
P.S. I posted this because I needed to get it out but maybe I'll have intermittent updates or something during my 'hiatus' (doesn't make it a hiatus anymore does it). Anyways, possible posts in the future, however I'm officially out until June. Sayoonara!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about my straightened look?